Friday 13 May 2016

Leg Before Watson


Watson struggled with his front pad throughout his career, being trapped in front of the stumps 29 times across 109 Test innings, the sixth most of any player in HISTORY!! 
Watson was on the receiving end of some serious criticism towards the end of his Test career from opposition fans, who made merry with his poor DRS record......and this is where the meme got created from.


A beautiful French cut.

Watson said  “The hardest thing was using up a review, it going against me, and then your mate, who was batting lower down the order who actually had a decision to review, didn’t have any to use.
“I was doing the best I could with what was in front of me.
“I didn’t do it that well, I learnt the hard way in front of a few million people and I get reminded of it very regularly.”
enhanced-23205-1436765546-5
It may not have been the only determining factor in selectors’ decision to drop him for the second Test, but Watson’s struggles with getting hit in front of his stumps - and his inability to overturn the decisions

To make matters worse for Watson, he has reviewed these decisions nine times and only ONCE has he been successful in having the decision overturned.

12

I was an opening batsman, the ball was moving, I didn’t know exactly whether it was close, whether it was missing leg, hitting middle.

“You’re also conferring with your partner as well; it’s not just me reviewing it straight away every time, because you’re there with your mate and he’s trying to help you out as well.”

“The backlash that I got (was immense), and I copped it all the way, because at the back-end of my career the crowd and everyone just gave it to me for referrals.”
But in retirement he insists wasting a review never sat well with him either.

addtext_com_MTYzMjI2MzcyMzc0
If only cricket was as easy as bodybuilding we would all be making centuries with no effort at all!
HAHAH Thanks for all the laughs Watson and best of luck with your retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment